Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Day that Was - July 19th 2007

A good day for the RebelTrader portfolio. This morning I entered a new swing trade on NightHawk Radiology (NHWK) at $19.40 (1/2 position to start with). NHWK continued upward throughout the day and closed the day up 7.4% ( up 3.9% from my entry point). I had NHWK on my watch list since Tuesday and today it performed very well and met my buy point. I will monitor NHWK for the next entry point for the remaining 1/2. With the big gain today I expect to see some pullback on profit taking but I don't see that lasting too long before it continues up again.


Today I sold NetGear (NTGR) because I saw what was starting to look like it was topping out. That means that there just was not enough buyers left to out number the sellers and that we were going to end the day with a doji (doji: The name given to a chart pattern which signals indecision). With that trading pattern developing I decided to take the gains and close the trade. NTGR provided a 5.1% gain in 10 days. Remember that it is not important to squeeze every penny out of a trade, what is important is that you have more winners than you do losers. Don't focus on how big the gain is, instead focus on keeping the losses small. The gains will add up.. Every gain is a winner!


I said this morning that I would watch PDGI to see if there was any chance of a recovery and the trading did not show it was going to recover so I closed the PDGI trade to keep the loss in check. PDGI closed with a loss of 6.2%. The sector just did not gain enough strength to lift PDGI.

Today WWAT continued strong buying in the morning on very heavy volume. But I know from experience that it would not be long before profit takers would step in. After a 25% advance in just two days there would be a lot of profit takers. So I waited for the buyers to continue to buy up WWAT in the morning and then I sold 1/2 of the position at $2.39. That was a 30% gain in 7 days from the first buy point I entered WWAT. The profit taking increased as the day went on and that is OK, that was expected. I am holding onto the remainder of the shares for the next buying surge. That may not happen right away but if it does then I'll sell the remaining 1/2 on the next upward move. I have set a stop loss on the remaining shares at $2.15 (even if the price comes down to that point and my trade is closed it is still a profit on the remaining shares!). At the end of the day the remaining 1/2 of my swing trade is at 14% average gain.

My swing trade in GRP also advanced well today and that trade continues to do well. Same with WDC, and after the market closed today Seagate (STX) reported their earnings and they were good. This should lift the disk drive sector and WDC with it! WDC was trading up another 1.8% in after hours.

BIG finally got some buying today and started lifting that swing trade back up. I'm watching it closely.

Some news on the earnings front. Google reported their earnings after the market closed and for the first time ever they missed the analysts estimates. They missed by 3 cents on the EPS. This sent shock waves through the Google investors and a massive sell off took place. At one point Google was down almost $50 per share (8%). This is a large event, never has Google missed their earnings and this will certainly put the brakes on Google bulls. This will have a substantial impact on the internet sector. In sympathy with Google; Baidu (the Chinese search engine giant) (BIDU) was also trading down in after hours. What we are likely to see now is analysts will downgrade Google, this will further push the share price down in the near term I feel.

SanDisk (SNDK) released good numbers and investors were happy as in after hours the trading was up 6.5%. This will help the PC hardware sector, and may even rub off a little on my Western Digital (WDC) trade.. :)

Microsoft (MSFT) released their earnings also and they were fair. The market responded with mixed reactions and in after hours was trading down 2%.

The financial sector today was still a speed bump for the bulls. Kind of like driving a car with one foot on the gas and the other foot on the brakes. That is what the rising oil prices is doing to the markets. We are now near $76.00 for crude oil/barrel.

I'm keeping my eye on SCUR. This is a stock I mentioned yesterday. It is nearing a buy point when it crosses above the trend line.

On Monday I posted a chart for Apple saying that I feel the $140 price was going to be difficult to break. Today Apple tried to break above $140 but it could not hold the gains and came back down to close right at $140.00. And in after hours trading Apple is down to $139.00. If you look at a chart for Apple (candlestick chart) you will see what we call a gap up doji on lower volume. That is more often than not a signal of upward buying pressure being exhausted. In technical analysis the chart says Apple will pullback now. Eventually Apple will resume a new upward run but not right now according to the chart.


Good day to be a Rebel !




1 Comment:

Anonymous said...

Chuck

I continue to be impressed. Do you think you could maybe teach your readers a bit of how you do it?

Thank you

Daniel

© Blogger Templates | Webtalks